History

1955

With the newly formed parish of Braybrook in its infancy, Fr Thomas Murray approached many orders of nuns in Victoria with a view to establishing a school. Although already heavily committed in schools, the provincial of the Sisters of St Joseph agreed to supply two nuns to establish the school. Sister Antonine and Sister Martinian established a temporary school in railway huts adjacent to Tottenham Station.

1956

The Religious Sisters of the Sacred Heart, under the guidance of Mother Quilligan, took over the running of the school.

1958

Archbishop Mannix opened the new school and Catholic centre on Churchill Ave. The school first housed primary children but was soon to include both primary and secondary students.

1961

Parishioners worked tirelessly to produce new curtains to shield the classrooms from the summer sun. It was these curtains that on February 3rd 1961 contributed to a devastating fire that saw the pride of the Parish of Braybrook gutted. A fire of this magnitude tested the resolve of the parish but the community and, in particular, its parish priest, Fr Murray, rose to the challenge and immediately began the task of accommodating approximately 900 students. The answer came in the form of what could be termed the first ‘state aid’ as the school was given temporary access to buildings in the showgrounds by the government of the time. By the end of July the school moved back to its present site into portables rented from the Victorian Government.

The school was divided into a secondary and a primary school with Sister Kathlyn Ragg remaining principal of the primary school. The first lay principal of the primary school was Mrs V. Corbett. The existing primary school building was built over four stages

1982

The school buildings were completed.

2010

Further building of a school hall and 2 new classrooms took place as a result of the Federal Government’s ‘Building the Education Revolution.’

 2011

The school now has an enrollment of approx. 275 students representing over 20 nationalities. Presently the major cultural groups are Vietnamese, Filipino and Chinese, with a smaller Anglo and Southern European population.

2017

The school now has an enrolment of approx. 255 students representing over 20 nationalities. Presently the major cultural groups are Vietnamese, Filipino, Burmese and Chinese, with a smaller Anglo, African and Southern European population.  The school has undertaken classroom and play space refurbishments in recent years.